Netflix has announced that come November, they will be offering subscribers in Canada a brand new “Basic with Ads” lower priced ad-supported plan. How much does it cost? Are there limitations? And what does this mean for digital marketers? Here’s what Netflix has to say about their new low-priced tier:
- Basic with Ads will cost just $5.99 a month in Canada and launch on November 1 at 9 am PT.
- Basic with Ads will be available in 12 counties, including Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK and the US.
- Netflix’s current plans and members will not be impacted. Basic with Ads complements their existing ad-free Basic, Standard and Premium plans.
“Basic with Ads” offers all the features people expect from Netflix’s Basic plan, with a few subtle differences:
- Video quality up to 720p/HD (now for both our Basic with Ads and Basic plans); average of 4 to 5 minutes of ads per hour; a limited number of movies and TV shows won’t be available due to licensing restrictions, which we’re working on; no ability to download titles.
So what does this mean for Digital Marketers? A whole new opportunity to showcase ads to a highly engaged audience with a wide variety of targeting options, valuable insights and data from campaigns on the platform. Here’s what Netflix Canada had to say for marketers looking to take advantage of this golden opportunity in the digital ad space:
“Basic with Ads also represents an exciting opportunity for advertisers — the chance to reach a diverse audience, including younger viewers who increasingly don’t watch linear TV, in a premium environment with a seamless, high-resolution ads experience.
- Ad Format: At launch, ads will be 15 or 30 seconds in length, which will play before and during shows and films.
- Advertiser Controls: To help advertisers reach the right audience — and ensure our ads are more relevant for consumers — we’ll offer broad targeting capabilities by country and genre (e.g. action, drama, romance, sci-fi). Advertisers will also be able to prevent their ads from appearing on content that might be inconsistent with their brand (e.g. sex, nudity or graphic violence).
- Verification Tools: We have partnerships with and to verify the viewability and traffic validity of our ads starting in Q1 2023. “
Only a few months prior, Netflix announced their partnership with Microsoft for this ad-supported opportunity on the streaming network, as they cite streaming has now surpassed broadcast and cable TV in the US.
And yes, SoCast can help you put your ad directly on Netflix! For more information, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the Netflix Announcement here: https://about.netflix.com/en/news/announcing-basic-with-ads-ca